Today on the show we are sitting down with Tim Lara, owner of Hawaiian Paddle Sports, to talk about his experience in building not just one, but five eco-tour companies on the Island of Maui.
Not only does Tim share his founder story, but he dives into his values, explaining how keeping them at the heart of everything — from who he hires to the structure of his tours — has shaped his success as a certified B-Corporation.
Tim is involved in so many different things, and it is really interesting to hear how he manages it all, on top of being a successful entrepreneur!
We cover a lot of big topics like environmental and the social responsibility, as well as some fun things like the specific strategies that Tim has employed to progress his mission.
It’s definitely an inspiring story, so be sure to join us here or on your favorite podcast platform!
- Tim Lara — https://twitter.com/tim_lara [0:00:12]
- Hawaiian Paddle Sports — https://hawaiianpaddlesports.com/ [0:00:14]
- Certified B-Corporation — https://bcorporation.net/ [0:00:39]
- Malama Maui Program — https://hawaiianpaddlesports.com/malama-maui/ [0:07:13]
- Surfrider Foundation —https://www.surfrider.org/ [0:11:04]
- RAP Program — https://www.surfrider.org/initiatives/plastic-pollution
- 1% for the Planet —http://www.onepercentfortheplanet.org/[0:19:10]
- Danny Boren — https://www.skylinehawaii.com/blog/our-story [0:19:18]
- Skyline Eco-Adventures — https://www.skylinehawaii.com/ [0:19:20]
- Maui Kayak Adventures — https://mauikayakadventures.com/ [0:31:57]
- Maui Surf Lessons — https://mauisurflessons.com/ [0:32:41]
- Maui Standup Paddle Boarding — https://mauistanduppaddleboarding.com/ [0:32:41]
- Hawaii Mermaid Adventures — https://hawaiimermaidadventures.com/ [0:32:44]
- Hawaii Ecotourism Association — https://www.hawaiiecotourism.org/ [0:34:36]
- Introduction and background on Tim’s company, Hawaiian Paddle Sports. [0:01:12]
- The story of how Tim came to settle in a place like Maui. [0:01:35]
- Tim’s inspiration for starting Hawaiian Paddle Sports. [0:02:41]
- How Hawaiian Paddle Sports’ unique business model sets them apart. [0:03:55]
- Understanding the concept of “kuleana”: rights and responsibility. [0:05:54]
- Why it was important for Tim to use his personal values to build Hawaiian Paddle Sports. [0:09:14]
- How Tim selects organizations and foundations to support and give back to. [0:11:49]
- Tim’s strategy for balancing his business, campaigns, and new opportunities. [0:16:24]
- The decision to become a member of 1% for the Planet. [0:19:16]
- Why getting a B-Corp certification challenged Tim to look at his blind spots. [0:21:56]
- Biggest changes Hawaiian Paddle Sports has gone through over the years. [0:23:40]
- Importance of hiring people aligned to the mission of Hawaiian Paddle Sports. [0:27:00]
- Overcoming the challenges of transitioning from a small business to a big operation. [0:28:04]
- Key objectives for Tim and his five different mission driven companies in 2019. [0:31:51]
- And much more!
- “We really want our guests leaving knowing more about the place that they’re visiting and the marine life that they’re viewing and interacting with.” — @tim_lara [0:01:28]
- “Studies are showing that visitors are increasingly interested in experiential travel.” — @tim_lara [0:03:28]
- “Now when we hire people, we very much hire mission-aligned people.” — @tim_lara [0:27:00]
Building a Better World, Together
Grow Ensemble, a 1% For the Planet business member, is an Impact Media + Marketing company on a mission to make more sustainable living and business the norm.