Listen on your favorite podcast platform:
Welcome back to the Grow Ensemble Podcast! Our guest on today’s episode is Russ Stoddard, the founder of Oliver Russell, a socially geared business that builds brands for purpose-driven companies. Russ started Oliver Russell in 1991 and has been at the helm ever since.
In our conversation, we cover the beginnings of the company, the founding ideas
We also talk about the social impact that has come to characterize much of Oliver Russell’s history and how Russ manages this aspect of a business that needs to remain profitable. You really get the sense that this is Russ’ true calling and hearing him detail his journey and beliefs is a great motivation!
So join us for this massively inspiring chat and get it all!
- Russ Stoddard — http://www.russstoddard.com/ [0:00:26]
- Oliver Russell — http://www.oliverrussell.com/ [0:00:30]
- Harkla — https://harkla.co/ [0:01:38]
- Peter Gabriel — https://petergabriel.com/ [0:04:10]
- Rise Up: How to Build a Socially Conscious Business — https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Up-Socially-Conscious-Business/dp/1945449381 [0:20:33]
- Russ’ relationship with and affinity for entrepreneurship. [0:02:36]
- The early days of the agency and the kind of work they started with. [0:04:48]
- Oliver Russell’s four core values and its focus on
. [0:07:06] social responsibility
- Comparing the world of today to when Oliver Russell was founded. [0:09:11]
- The measures of success at Oliver Russell. [0:11:07]
- Selecting recipients of assistance and grants. [0:12:38]
- Realizing a certain level of success and Russ’ gratitude for this. [0:15:47]
- Finding great people with whom to collaborate. [0:16:46]
- Why this job is such a dream for Russ. [0:19:09]
- Common themes and traits of successful socially impactful businesses. [0:21:10]
- What has allowed Oliver Russell to stay in business for 27 years? [0:24:00]
- Russ’ focus on challenges and opportunities to stay inspired and moving forward. [0:25:06]
- A few new ventures for Russ on the horizon! [0:26:29]
- Russ’ role in all of these different collaborations. [0:29:43]
- A few recent personal lessons that Russ has learned in his business’ journey. [0:30:52]
- And much more!
- “I just jump. Sometimes that leads to great things, other times you splat pretty hard.” — @rstoddard [0:03:30]
- “I just wanted to create a business that added to the world rather than subtracted from it.” — @rstoddard [0:07:22]
- “We operate in a slightly different way which is we measure ourselves on the social impact that we create and profit is a byproduct of that.” — @rstoddard [0:11:07]