Sarah Woolsey is the founder of the Impact Guild—a co-working, event, and community organizing space based in San Antonio, Texas. Sarah’s journey started in the nonprofit world, which piqued her interested in whether there may be more a financially sustainable way to make the impact she wanted. Following that curiosity, Sarah was given the Impact Guild building for a whopping $1/year rent where she has built a strong community of mission driven companies and social entrepreneurs.
Sarah and the Impact Guild host budding social enterprises in their space where idea sharing and community problem-solving is at the center of the space’s culture. They are deeply involved in the community hosting local events, highlighting social businesses and business people, and investing in social entrepreneurs around the world.
This episode is full to the brim of tips on the process of getting an idea out of your head and into the world. Sarah shares her experience getting the Impact Guild building (for $1/year!), her advice on balancing mission and business, and how to utilize a social impact network as you build your business.
A few takeaways from our conversation:
- Getting a head start with your business before it’s ready to go can help you work through possibilities and experiment with how your mission can play out once it’s up and running
- Amidst the goal setting and planning, don’t forget to take a moment to reflect on and celebrate your successes and achievements.
- Hold your mission at your core, but nail down your core competency and get really clear on what that value of your business and your offerings.
- Share your idea, surround yourself with mentors, ask for help and guidance.
Links from the Episode:
- Sign-Up: the Grow Ensemble Accelerator Hosted by the Impact Guild!
- Make Space – Stanford d. School
- Social Good Guides
- Impact Guild Juntos
- Gardopia Gardens
- The Impact Guild & KIVA
- WE LIVE HERE Photography Event
Building a Better World, Together
Grow Ensemble, a 1% For the Planet business member, is an Impact Media + Marketing company on a mission to make more sustainable living and business the norm.