Listen on your favorite podcast platform:
Today on the show we welcome Chris Hutchinson, who is the founder and CEO of the Trebuchet Group, a certified B Corporation from Fort Collins, Colorado. Chris and his company help leaders gain clarity and confidence and service teams that are looking for more from their jobs than just a paycheck.
The focus of our conversation today is primarily leadership and Chris’ philosophy around this idea. We discuss the work he has done in himself and with others, and the effect that great leadership can have on a company.
We discuss Chris’ history, personal and professional journey, and the book he published in 2015 titled Ripple. We also get into how to determine your focus and which projects to choose to further your professional education and reputation.
This episode is sure to help you down the path to be becoming a better leader, so for all this and more, be sure to tune in!
Also, if you are interested in getting a copy of Chris’ book yourself, go to www.rippleleader.com.
For listeners of the podcast, you get FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING when ordering direct from The Ripple Leader website, just enter the code GROWENSEMBLE at checkout.
- Chris Hutchinson — https://www.linkedin.com/in/rippleleader [0:00:27]
- Trebuchet Group — https://trebuchetgroup.com/ [0:00:39]
- Ripple — https://www.amazon.com/Ripple-Field-Manual-Leadership-Works/dp/1942492022/[0:01:18]
- Stephen Covey — https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits.html [0:04:07]
- Thomas Jefferson — https://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/thomas-jefferson [0:06:23]
- StoryBrand — https://storybrand.com/ [0:21:20]
- New Belgium — https://www.newbelgium.com/ [0:30:18]
- NCEO — https://www.nceo.org/ [0:30:50]
- Small Giants — https://smallgiants.org/summit/ [0:31:41]
- The Gathering of The Games — https://www.greatgame.com/event/the-annual-gathering-of-games/about [0:32:20]
- Jack Stack — https://www.greatgame.com/jack-stack [0:32:26]
- Some of Chris’ background, origin story and information on his career. [0:02:20]
- The first steps that Chris took to become a better leader. [0:03:56]
- How Chris started the Trebuchet Group in 2002 and the early days. [0:06:17]
- Why being helpful is what really gets you ahead. [0:11:01]
- Abundance and saying to no to work. [0:12:22]
- Growing the company and the move to Colorado [0:15:54]
- Typical and ideal clients for Trebuchet. [0:17:58]
- The client is the hero! [0:21:20]
- Common comments and feedback that Chris has encountered with clients. [0:23:35]
- Gaining a B Corporation certification and what this did for the company [0:29:05]
- Events and summits that Chris tries to attend.[0:31:17]
- A little about Chris’ book Ripple. [0:34:37]
Some future hope that Chris has for Trebuchet and his next book. [0:38:44]
- Chris’ advice and homework for leaders out there! [0:40:55]
- Parting thoughts from our guest. [0:43:17]
- And much more!
- “That’s what leaders do, build more leaders.” — @rippleleader [0:03:15]
- “I want to do the same work, organizationally, with individuals and leadership but I don’t want to be limited to one company.” — @rippleleader [0:07:22]
- “Much of the instincts that I had when I started were completely wrong.”— @rippleleader [0:08:12]